TemporalParticlesToPathlines works with .vtp particle data, fails with AMReX data

Attached is a .zip file with data for a single particle following a helical trajectory.
particle_pathlines_data.zip (1.9 MB)

• particle_pathlines_vtp.pvsm uses the data in the particle_vtp directory, which is in .vtp format.
  • particle_pathlines_amrex.pvsm uses the data in the particle_amrex directory, which is in AMReX format. (This contains some other field data, most of which is zero.)
  1. When using .vtp format, the “Temporal Particles To Pathlines” filter works as expected.
  2. When using AMReX format, “Temporal Particles To Pathlines” fails with the following error message:
> ( 138.181s) [paraview        ]vtkTemporalPathLineFilt:343    ERR| vtkTemporalPathLineFilter (0x1a07a500): The input dataset did not have a valid DATA_TIME_STEPS information key
> ( 138.182s) [paraview        ]       vtkExecutive.cxx:753    ERR| vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x1a08c7e0): Algorithm vtkTemporalPathLineFilter(0x1a07a500) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x1f5f6d90)
>   Debug: Off
>   Modified Time: 2442784
>   Reference Count: 1
>   Registered Events: (none)
>   Request: REQUEST_DATA
>   ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
>   FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
>   FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
> 
> 
> ( 138.182s) [paraview        ]vtkTemporalPathLineFilt:343    ERR| vtkTemporalPathLineFilter (0x1a07a500): The input dataset did not have a valid DATA_TIME_STEPS information key
> ( 138.182s) [paraview        ]       vtkExecutive.cxx:753    ERR| vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x1a08c7e0): Algorithm vtkTemporalPathLineFilter(0x1a07a500) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x1f5f6d90)
>   Debug: Off
>   Modified Time: 2442931
>   Reference Count: 1
>   Registered Events: (none)
>   Request: REQUEST_DATA
>   ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
>   FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
>   FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

Is this a bug that I should report, or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, Alexander D. Kaiser ran into a potentially related issue in May 2020. His solution was to export from Visit to vtu format and create a .pvd file. I did not have to create a .pvd file in order to get a working result with data in .vtp format.

vtkAMReXParticlesReader + FileSeriesReader does not seems to generate time steps correctly ?

Looks like a bug. @utkarsh.ayachit

1 Like

Thank you for taking a look! I have created a bug report on Gitlab: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/21162