Thresholding Nodal Information in VTK file

I have a VTK file containing scalar values for some points.
I would like to display them as a point gaussian and furthermore threshold some values, for example remove all values which are zero.
Here is a small test sample:
test_nodal.vtk (2.1 KB)

I can load the VTK without problems and display the point gaussian:

but the threshold gives always an empty result, as the scalar values can not be selected anymore.

Is this possible in paraview or do I need to pre-process the data beforehand?

I believe the issue is with the dataset, not paraview. From what I can see, you have a bunch of points, but no cells. The threshold filter only works on cells. I tried the clip by scalar filter, that also fails. Basically, you don’t have a viable dataset to work with.

One idea I had did work. Run the Glyph filter, which takes the points and effectively creates a dataset with cell. Now, threshold or clip by scalar on that.

To be more specific about using the Glyph filter as @wascott suggested, you want to create Vertex-type glyphs. Doing that is counterintuitive right now (see bug #18002). This should be fixed in ParaView 5.9, but for now you have to do the following:

• Select 2D Glyph as the Glyph Type
  • Turn on advanced properties
  • Find another property that is confusingly also named Glyph Type
  • Change that to Vertex
1 Like

Okay, using the Glyph seems to work for thresholding.

I believe the issue is with the dataset, not paraview.

What would be the preferred way to insert such point information into paraview? I.e. when I have several measurements (might be scalars, vectors or tensors) at some coordinates.
In that example, there is actually a rectangular grid involved, however that would mean I have to convert all the information here represented at points into cells…
I’m pretty much free with the input format but existing code already uses ASCII VTK, which I would like to keep.