Time Series of AMR data

Hello all,

I am trying to create a time series of my AMR data stored in .vthb files. I try to put the .vthb files in a pvd file and form a collection. At first glance everything seems to work, however, loading the pvd file makes ParaView drop the option to display more than 1 grid level. The option is called “Default Number of Levels”. Loading just on .vthb file gives me the option but once I load the pvd file I see no way how to display fine grid levels. I am using ParaView version 5.11.1 and here are the files I tried to work with:

Example.zip (22.3 KB)

How can I make this work or is this a bug in ParaView?

Kind regards,
Markus

This is expected. The pvd reader is very generic but does not provide access to the special properties of certain readers.

You may want to use a .series file or a the VTKHDF format

Thank you again for your answer.

For the VTKHDF file, would there be a very simple Python script or C++ file available to produce an example HDF file as a starting point?

Furthermore, I saw this post: Overlapping AMR support in vtkHDF - #5 by Francois_Mazen - Development - VTK
The Problem is exactly similar to what I have. There was a specific design proposed for the HDF file and I tried the attached file amrhdf.py. However, ParaView can not read the generated .h5 file

@Lucas_Givord @Francois_Mazen

Hello @risingBubbles,

there is indeed a repository which contains simple python script to generate vtkhdf file : https://gitlab.kitware.com/keu-public/vtkhdf/vtkhdf-scripts

Regarding OverlappingAMR itself, I’m working on adding transient support for OverlappingAMR for the vtkHDFReader in VTK here, I still need some work to finish that.

In this context, I plan to improve the vtkhdf-scripts repository to have a dedicate python script to generate overlapping amr with and without transient data, it’s not finished yet but it could help you : https://gitlab.kitware.com/keu-public/vtkhdf/vtkhdf-scripts/-/blob/add_overlapping_amr_script/scripts/generate_overlappingAMR.py#L12