Transparent objects not showing up sometimes

I currently have an issue where if I set a filter (slice and contours thus far) to be represented with transparency (opacity != 1), the final object might not show up in the render view. Sometimes, if I rotate to the right spot, the transparent object will show up with the right amount of transparency, but this doesn’t occur most of the time. The object is also missing in saved screenshots.

I’m running ParaView-5.6.0-MPI-Linux-64bit on Ubuntu 16.04 with NVIDIA Quadro K1000M and OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.130. I don’t recall having this issue with PV 5.5, but I can’t test at the moment.

I noticed that on the PV website, there’s a “osmesa” version of Paraview. Should I be using that instead? What’s the difference between the “osmesa” version and the “standard” version?

To answer your last question first, the osmesa version of ParaView is a remote, mpi pvserver build - without ParaView client. Nope, you don’t want that.

This sounds vagely farmiliar. Try downloading a nightly build, and try that? I am suspicious that this has been fixed. Additionally, you can run the Kitware 5.6.0 download (which you said you are using) in software backend mode. Try paraview --help to see usage, but I believe the command you are looking for is “paraview --mesa-llvm”.