Unable to open files in macOS

Hello,

I am trying to use ParaView 5.8.1 on macOS Big Sur 11.2.1, but I am unable to open any data files. When I click File > Open or the corresponding icon in the ParaView GUI, nothing opens and my cursor indicates something is loading. It seems like it loads indefinitely, and I have to force quit ParaView.

When I had macOS Catalina, the Finder window would open but be completely empty. I think ParaView did not know where to look for my documents and files, but I never resolved it and instead used ParaView on a Windows machine via remote login.

Could someone help me resolve these issues?

Thanks!

Hi Joyce,

Did you just install 5.8.1? We had a problem with signing the package but fixed the installer about a month ago. In any case, 5.9.0 is now available, and you might want to try that instead.

From what you describe, there might be two things going on:

1). Does you mac connect to a volume that is unreadable to your account?

2). Might you have disallowed ParaView from reading files on the Desktop or Downloads folders at some point? On Catalina, I have had to grant ParaView permission to read from these directories. I have not denied these requests on my system, so I’m not sure if that could lead to the behavior you observe, so it’s just a thought.

It was a few months ago, but 5.9.0 is working great!

Not sure what the previous issue was. I was not connected to an unreadable volume and the permissions to read files were enabled. Could be a macOS bug or problem with signing the package as you said.

Anyways thank you!

I am having a very similar issue with 5.10.1 on macOS. I try to open a file and nothing happens. I don’t get any indication that anything is loading and I can click around freely in the paraview window after the failed file open. Any ideas for things to check? I’m not entirely sure how to check the unreadable volume. The files I’m trying to open in my home directory so shouldn’t be subject to Desktop or Downloads permissions issues. I’m on Monterey (12.3.1)

Did you fixed it ? I have the same setup and getting same problem!

Does using “Edit → Reset to Default Settings” and restarting ParaView resolve the issue for you?

yeah it worked!

Hi. I am running into the same issue. I am on macosx 13.0.1 and paraview 5.11.0. I re-installed paraview and files are still not opening.

Edit: Paraview has full access so it does not seem to be a permission issue.

Hi Timothy. Welcome to the ParaView community!
Reinstalling ParaView doesn’t solve issues, as it probably isn’t ParaView that is the problem. It’s possibly the stored configuration. Cory gave the correct answer above. However, here is the big hammer way of doing the same thing. In a terminal, go to the following directory: cd ~/.config/ParaView. Then remove (rm) all of the files in this directory.

Alternatively, Cory’s comments above about giving ParaView permissios to read in the desktop and documents is prossibly an issue.
Alan

1 Like

Copy. All good now. Thanks.