unstructured to structured data?

I have a closed surface (unstructured) can I use paraview to convert it to a solid voxel (image/structured) dataset? How is this achieved?

The Resample to Image filter can resample data from a structured grid to an Image Data dataset.

I should have been more specific, the unstructured data is in a vector format, so not a structured grid.

I mistyped. The Resample To Image filter can resample data from an unstructured grid to an Image Data dataset.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œvector formatā€.

Iā€™m coming from a GIS background, so vector, point-line-polygon, polyhedral (3D), a 3D closed surface - so unstructured data. This is the opposite of raster (image), voxel, or in paraview speak structured data.

Iā€™ll experiment with the Resample to Image filter, and report back if it works, thanks.

The Resample to Image gives a wireframe bounding 3D box

You can change the Representation type from ā€œOutlineā€ to ā€œVolumeā€ under the Display section of the Properties panel. ā€œOutlineā€ is just the default view of the generated image data.

I get the error ā€œThis OpenGL implementation does not support the required texture size of 2097152, falling back to maximum allowed, 16384.ā€ The dataset I have is a polygonia closed mesh with 27448 cells, it is one of the smaller ones I have and I cannot really reduce it through pre-sampling.

I guess my system is not capable of this?

I suspect that your GPU is quite old with only 1Gb of memory. You may want to use a CPU based solution for volume rendering. Switch the volume rendering mode to RayCast or OSPray.

I have a 1 year old MSI laptop with 32GB RAM with NVIDIA GTX 1070 graphics card/GPU.
I tried your suggestion and paraview crashed.

Something is wrong with your drivers.

what is the output of glxinfo ?

Not sure how to run glxinfo (Iā€™m using windows) but in ā€˜aboutā€™ OpenGL states 3.2.0

I missed the fact that you are using Windows. Did you install nvidia drivers ? Which version do you have ? Is you system fully up to date ?

It is complaining not about the total RAM on the GPU, but the size of one dimension of a texture. 2 million texels is quite high in one dimension. By default the resampling dimensions are 100x100x100, so did you modify those somehow?

It might help us get a better idea of what you are trying to do if you can provide the small sample dataset, or at least posting an image of what the input data looks like.

1 Like