Visualizing/Loading RAW data

(Jackson Jackson Baglino) #1

When I try to load .RAW data into ParaView, I run into an issue where ParaView does not load all the data (usually about half). I don’t believe it is necessarily the size of the data, because I have used other Computers to visualize the data. I have tried enabling OSPray and there is no change.

Each time Ioad data, I receive the error message:

ERROR: In C:\bbd\ecd3383f\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\Image\vtkImageReader.cxx, line 190

vtkPVImageReader (00000223A1502770): Header size: 3518112040, file ext: 0, 1374, 0, 1374, 0, 1077

If anyone knows what might be going on, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Jackson

(Walter Alan Scott) #2

Just as a wild guess, are you loading double data as float (or vice versa)?
Alan

(Jackson Jackson Baglino) #3

I don’t think that’s the issue, because my data is float-32 and I’m selecting float as my data type. Thank you for your input though!

Jackson

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #4

What is the actual dimension of the image, and how are you defining the extent? If your image is A x B x C pixels, then the extent should be [0, A-1, 0, B-1, 0, C-1].

(Jackson Jackson Baglino) #5

The actual dimensions of the volume is 1078 x 1375 x 1375. So my data extent is [0, 1077; 0, 1374; 0, 1374].

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #6

Could you elaborate? Did you use ParaView or another visualization program on the other computers?

How did you produce the RAW file?

(Jackson Jackson Baglino) #7

Sorry for taking so long to reply Cory. Anyways, I have used ParaView on these other computers to visualize the data. I have tried by the same version (5.6.0 64-bit) as well as previous versions. To produce the RAW file, I used a python script to generate a 3D volume from a stack of images. I have multiple data sets (ranging from 0.5gb-7.5gb) and see a very similar result on all of them–only being able to visualize about 50% of the data. The weird thing is, however, ParaView isn’t even recognizing the other half of the data (data range is 50% of what it should be when I use data of type int). Initially, I was thinking that it might just be an issue with that data sets being too large to visualize, but since I have been able to load the entire volume on a different machine, and the fact that ParaView is only reading half the data on my machine, I have concluded this is not the case.

I have tried resenting the ParaView settings to default, as well as completely uninstalling, then reuploading ParaView. At this point, I am almost convinced that the error is due to some setting on my computer.