What is this trying to tell us? Something with readers and writers - but what?

My Paraview custom application is now regularly starting with a message that I cannot understand! It even tells me where it happens, and this is what I find there:

// Give a warning that if there is ParaViewReaders or ParaViewWriters in root
  // that it has been changed and people should change their code accordingly.
  if (strcmp(root->GetName(), "ParaViewReaders") == 0)
  {
    vtkGenericWarningMacro("Readers have been changed such that the GUI definition is not needed."
      << " This should now be specified in the Hints section of the XML definition.");
  }
  else if (strcmp(root->GetName(), "ParaViewWriters") == 0)
  {
    vtkGenericWarningMacro("Writers have been changed such that the GUI definition is not needed."
      << " This should now be specified in the Hints section of the XML definition.");
  }

However - I really have no clue what it is about and what I am supposed to change in my source code! And I am pretty sure that my users will know even less…

grep followed by git blame shows this commit and more completely this one:
back the 4.1 release where we moved the specification in the xml about client side behavior (such as this reader corresponds to this file extension) from a separate file into a “ReaderFactory” hint on the server.

If your server side xml file already has the new hint, you can probable just remove the client side xml entirely. @utkarsh.ayachit will know more if you run into trouble.

Dave is indeed correct. Just to give some more info, in past we had xmls like the ParaViewReaders.xml and ParaViewWriters.xml that told ParaView which proxies were to be treated as readers and writers. This is now simply done by ReaderFactory and WriterFactory hints in the proxy definition XMLs themselves.

Thanks for both your replies - I finally got rid of it! And of course it was a “stupid mistake” (like always - once you understand it…)

After Daves post I understood that it must have to do with very old code - pre PV 4. -, while my own “PV career” started somewhere in the “lower fives”, so why should I have such old things there? Well, I have ported some plugins from the old ParaViewGeo package that is still based on PV 3.nn, so I checked that code - but nothing…

Finally Utkarsh brought me to the right location: Indeed I had some ParaViewReaders.xml in my code - which I had “found somehow” - and already including the ParaViewFilters.xml and ParaViewSources.xml I just thought: why not also that one? “Let’s see what it does and what happens…”

Ok, something happened, but I did not see the relation to my previous action!

But - after finding the source code that I put into my first post, I should have grep-ped for “ParaViewReaders” which would have shown me that xml file immediately…