Where/How to start developing paraview web-based applications?

Hello all,

I was amazed when I recently first saw the capabilities of Paraview Web. I decided I’ll do my best to develop some web-based applications that improve visualization/data processing workflows at my company.

However, after struggling a little bit to compile/install ParaView Web with NodeJS, I decided to take a step back and learn a bit more of the basics of web development before jumping into such complex code.

I have 10+ years experience developing scientific software for desktops and clusters, but never programmed a single website or web application in my life.

In your opinion, what sort of languages/frameworks/technologies should I study in order to be able to program with Paraview Web? E.g. Javascript, CSS, HTML, Node?

Sorry for the rather newbie question, but I hope the answer helps other programmers like me; with little to no web experience.

Best regards,
Rafael March.

You should start by downloading the ParaView binary for your system as it provides all the part that are required on the server side for building a ParaViewWeb based server.

Then you should look at that simple example on how to build a ParaViewWeb based client application using Vue.js.

Once you managed to create and run your application locally, for real deployment, you should use our docker image that will let you expose your application as a service either in the cloud or inside your company infrastructure.

Regarding your web newbie question, I would start with the following framework as it provide quick and somewhat easy and full feature framework for creating web application.

HTH,

Seb

1 Like

Thanks Sebastien,

I have been studying the suggested languages/frameworks, your reply has been really helpful.

If I manage to use the provided link (simple example) as a starting point, I understand I wouldn’t be doing remote rendering, correct? Would you have a guideline/page to follow to include remote rendering? I will be dealing with large datasets, I don’t think rendering on the web client is a viable option.

Many thanks and have a great end of year.

Rafael.

Actually the sample given is doing remote rendering.

2 Likes