XR Interface Plugin - mark points in VR mode

Hi,

I use Paraview 5.11 to analyze a 3D model in VR mode (XR Interface Plugin). I would like to mark interesting points on my model in VR mode with the controller and save and export their coordinates. Does anyone know how I can manage this?

Thank you!

Hi @Julia

You can create a PointSource or a polyline source and then place point using the controlers, and then save the results to disk.

Maybe @Tiffany_Chhim @tgalland have more inputs.

1 Like

Hello,

To expand a bit on Mathieu’s reply, you can first try adding one of these sources to the Pipeline Browser outside of VR:

• Point Source (one point only)
  • Poly Line Source (as many points as you wish but connected by a line)
  • Poly Point Source (as many points as you wish, but I haven’t tried adding points in VR)

Then, once into VR mode, open the menu with the corresponding button (depends on your controller).
Switch the “Right Trigger” action to “Add Point to Source”.

Pressing the right trigger should now place a point to your source (make sure it is selected in the Pipeline Browser).

When you go back to desktop mode, you will be able to examine your point source like any dataset.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.

In general, I can add points to a poly point source in VR mode. But I have the following problems in VR mode:

• The added points are not connected to the sample. When I move the sample, it moves independently from the points. This does not happen outside the VR mode.

• When I move the sample in VR mode, I change its position in space and therefore the coordinates. Thus, when I exit the VR mode, I cannot transfer the coordinates of the marked points to my data to find interesting positions again, since all the transformations, scaling operations, etc. that I did in VR mode are included in the coordinates.

Is there a way to fix the sample in space in VR mode, changing only the camera perspective and not the coordinates of the sample when rotating, scaling etc. it? And is it possible to connect the marked points to the sample in VR mode, which would allow me to move the sample together with the marked points?

Thank you!

Is there a way to fix the sample in space in VR mode, changing only the camera perspective and not the coordinates of the sample when rotating, scaling etc. it?

This is not currently possible I believe.

And is it possible to connect the marked points to the sample in VR mode, which would allow me to move the sample together with the marked points?

Adding an option to snap to the closest point (which is possible outside of VR) sounds like a nice idea, but this is not currently implemented. Alternatively, having all objects move together simultaneously could be an option as well.

2 Likes