active stereo and ParaView

proposal
(Utkarsh Ayachit) #1

I’ve been playing with stereo support in ParaView for sometime now and here are some ideas to improve the UX. I wanted to get a feel for what people think.

1. ParaView Qt client will always attempt to create an active-stereo-capable context. If not supported on system, then the Crystal Eyes stereo mode will not be shown in the UI. This enables/implies the following:
    i. paraview --stereo will no longer be needed or supported.
    ii. Stereo rendering can be enabled/disabled by simply clicking on a toolbar button. The button can show a drop-down menu to enable choosing the stereo type e.g. anaglyph, red/blue, etc. This button may only affect the active view or all views. It seems reasonable to me to affect all views since if you’re wearing stereo glasses, I’d expect you’d be wearing them when looking at any of the views and not just the active one – but we could go either way.
    iii paraview --stereo-type=[type] is same as using the toolbar button to change stereo mode except via command line.
    iv. Changing stereo mode using the tool button will only affect the Qt application. It won’t get saved in state files etc.
  2. pvpython and pvbatch will continue to support --stereo-type=[type] arguments which will act as standin for the toolbar button shown in the Qt client for the same effect. Note, here too, --stereo argument is no longer necessary or supported.
  3. pvserver and pvrenderserver will support --stereo-type=[type], however it will only be relevant and used in cases where the server displays results to the user i.e. tile-display mode and CAVE mode. For conventional client-server mode were the final rendering results are shown in the Qt client (or pvpython), the server processes don’t need this argument since the client will drive the stereo mode.

Thoughts?

(Walter Alan Scott) #2

Excellent. Jeff M. should be consulted before implementing. Jeff understands the math for the interocular distance between eyes, and the interplay with the distance to the screen (whether a monitor, or power wall).

(Jim Forsythe) #3

Good changes I think. Exposing the eye settings in the gui would be nice - I found them in python though. I’d like to here more from Jeff M on the math for interocular distance (and angle). I’ve made some guesses on it once I made a stereo movie that made me cross-eyed, but would like to know the smart way to do it.

(Utkarsh Ayachit) #4

ParaView 5.7 will include an eye angle option in the Adjust Camera dialog which should help with this. But I agree, may be we need a separate discussion on how to setup a stereo environment correctly.

1 Like
(Jim Forsythe) #5

My guess at doing this right was to figure out my distance from the object (camera position), and then set an eye separation that would give some good depth effect, and then set the eye angle so that both eyes would focus on the object. I.e. R*angle(radians) = eye separation.

(Walter Alan Scott) #6

I’m over my head with Stereo, and Jeff is out today. Will wait for his brilliant answers.

(Benjamin Knorlein) #7

Hi Utkarsh,

This sounds like a great idea. I just checked with our CAVE-system (the YURT) and at the moment we start the client with Stereo Eyes. It always seemed a little bit strange as the machine we start the client does not support stereo. But as the stereo mode was propagated to the server, this was the only way to get stereo working. Only setting it for the server and not the UI would be great and seems more logical.

PS: When do you think the stereo-type flag will be available on the server side for testing? I just checked and did not see it.

Best,
Ben

(Utkarsh Ayachit) #8

Ben, I haven’t gotten around to implementing this proposal yet. Glad to hear that folks are in general agreement with the proposed approach.