Building Paraview through spack

Has anyone ever installed paraview for off-screen GPU rendering through spack?
I’d love to learn how to do that and was unable to find documentation for the build parameters,
because

All I found was

1 Like

Sorry, I was going to comment, however my experience is with osmesa rendring, not off-screen GPU rendering.

I know we’ve been working on it but only for the new spack concretizer.
@Chuck Atkins What is the status of that work?

I have also been trying to build 5.11 with spack for Cray systems, where no X windows is available. My current cmake flags (working and already installed in production) use, for GPU systems

-DVTK_OPENGL_HAS_EGL=ON -DVTK_USE_X=OFF 

or for nodes without GPUs

-DVTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON -DVTK_USE_X=OFF -DOPENGL_gl_LIBRARY= -DOPENGL_glu_LIBRARY= 

Now the current paraview package on the spack repo does not include any VTK_OPENGL_HAS_EGL option. Is that in the works?

Currently Spack does not support the EGL frontend. This is something that has been asked for a couple of times but required changes to how Spack handled OpenGL frontend/backend. These changes have started, but adding EGL support requires additional work to get it working correctly across numerous packages.

A spec you could try that I have used before, it is assuming that you are only building ParaView and nothing else.

spack install "paraview +osmesa ~qt 
  ^mesa +osmesa +llvm
    ^llvm ~clang ~flang ~lldb ~lld ~libcxx ~gold +llvm_dylib"

The best that is currently available is OSMesa. If you use this backend you will also want to specify mesa +osmesa +llvm. The LLVM extensions provide needed acceleration to make CPU rendering tolerable.

To help speed up the LLVM build, you should turn off most of the stuff it tries to provide. I have used llvm ~clang ~flang ~lldb ~lld ~libcxx ~gold +llvm_dylib