Deprecating multi-client support

deprecation

(Utkarsh Ayachit) #1

ParaView has long supported a rarely used feature, multi-clients – where multiple paraview clients can connect to the same pvserver. While it’s a really neat feature, it’s tedious to maintain and support robustly. I wanted to get a feel for how many people, if any, are actually using this capability. We’d like to remove this feature in future to minimize code complexity.

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #2

I agree that the multi client feature is not widely used.

However one of its main usage is for using ParaView and an external python interpreter at the same time.
I think lots of people appreciate this side feature of multi client.

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #3

@martink @aron.helser Are you guys using multi-client/collaboration in ParaView?

(Utkarsh Ayachit) #4

Are users really using it? I doubt it will work seamlessly esp since the pvpython client will need manual sync. Also the ParaView Qt client in that case just becomes a viewer until it’s made master again – in otherwords, too much complexity for a regular user to really use it for real work, methinks.

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #5

This answers has 4 upvotes, which is quite high for a [paraview] stackoverflow answers.

(Utkarsh Ayachit) #6

worth bearing in mind, but the current implementation is woefully adequate to truly support this use-case. I am sure we can do better if we plan on supporting it properly.

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #7

most definitely.

(Ken Martin) #8

We considered using it but changed course and are not using it.