F3D v1.0.0, a fast and minimalist 3D viewer, has been released !

F3D v1.0, a fast and minimalist 3D viewer has been released !

F3D is a VTK-based 3D viewer following the KISS principle, so it is minimalist, efficient, has no GUI, has simple interaction mechanisms and is fully controllable using arguments in the command line.

It is BSD licensed, open-source and cross-platform (tested on Windows, Linux, and macOS). It supports several file formats, rendering and texturing options. The VTK rendering engine supports both OpenGL and ray tracing technologies.

It is very practical to quickly visualize and navigate through datasets stored on the disk. It is perfect when you just need to take a quick look at a dataset and don’t need ParaView’s full capabilities.

It supports a large range of different options, volume rendering, sprites, camera positioning, color map, HDR textures, post fx options, coloring, …
Supported file formats: VTK (legacy and XML), STL, GLTF, PLY, OBJ, 3DS, …
It can either be used from the command line, as an “Open With” software or by dropping files and folders into it.

F3D is compatible with the recently released VTK 9.0.0 and can be compiled against it or againt VTK master. Instead, you can download our binary release (no ray tracing support) to install it. It can also be installed on Arch-based distributions with the package f3d, available on the AUR.

Please, have a look at the documentation and the gallery. Feedbacks and contributions are very welcomed and issues can be freely opened on the GitLab repository.

9 Likes

This looks pretty cool! Hope to have time for a play with it next month.
Safe guess that generating animations might be high on the priority list?

/mark

1 Like

Thanks, let us know !

It is literally our highest priority item for 1.1.0.
https://gitlab.kitware.com/f3d/f3d/-/issues/29

This is cool, reminds me of blot! On that note, do you anticipate supporting more file formats, such as Exodus, or is that one of the tradeoffs with KISS?

Exodus could definitely be added, however the support for multi-block datasets is limited only to surface rendering, that’s why we did not focus on these type of formats.

Virtually any format supported by VTK could be added, so we had to choose which format would make sense. If you think another format would, please open an issue on the project !

F3D v1.0.1 has been released ! It contains a few bugfixes but especially a STL reader performances improvements !
https://gitlab.kitware.com/f3d/f3d/-/releases

1 Like

F3D v1.1.0 released, with animation support !

F3D, the fast and minimalist open source 3D viewer just released its 1.1.0

Direct Scalars rendering with F3D

Many new features and bug fixes have been added, the main ones being:

• Direct scalars rendering, where points and cells are colored using data present on the mesh.
  • A default turntable interactor.
  • Last but not least, Animation support !

dota
Skinned, morphed and animated glTF file in F3D

As a reminder for those that are for the first time about F3D, it is a minimalist, efficient, interactive 3D viewer supporting many file formats (STL, glTF, ply, obj, 3ds, vt*). It has a wide range of features, raytracing, volume rendering, sprites, camera positioning, color map, HDR textures, post fx options, coloring.

It can simply be downloaded from our gitlab as a binary package, installed on a few package managers, including brew and the aur or compiled, VTK being its main dependency.

Please, have a look at the documentation and the gallery. Feedbacks and contributions are very welcomed and issues can be freely opened on the GitLab repository.

2 Likes

It looks really cool. I’ve downloaded it and built it.

Is the video in your post supposed to show something? It doesn’t play anything for me.

As a side note, a long time ago I wrote my own volume renderer/mesh viewer. And I still use it instead of newer, better applications (slicer or paraview) because it’s dead simple. Display the files in the command line argument. No scene setup or hooking together filters and classes and whatnot. Most of the time, I just want to see what’s in my volume or surface file. And F3D seems to be very much along the same lines. So kudos! :slight_smile:

Thanks !

It seems to work for me, i’ve replaced it by a gif, in any case.

This was exactly the idea behind the creation of F3D !

1 Like