How to add temperature data for external mesh?

Dear All,

I have a dataset which contains x, y and z co-ordinates along with temperature data. Since, it is point clouds and in Paraview it is visible as points, Delaunay gave very rough mesh and so I could not create a mesh out of it.

Based on this, I move to meshlab to create surface mesh from x, y and z coordinates and saved as stl file. Now my question is, how do I visualize the temperature gradient in paraview from the mesh obtained from Meshlab.?

Thanks and Regards,

Sunag R A.

Dear all,

With respect to my previous question, I looked into paraview forum and found similar question and solution to it. The forum link is provided below.

Forum link

With respect to this, I tried methods which include SPH Dataset Interpolater from the Temperature field parameter or the csv dataset which includes points of x,y,z and T values.

As far as my work, the steps done as follows:

1. Upload stl file obtained from meshlab
  2. Upload csv file with Temperature dataset and convert to TableToPoints.
  3. Do SPH Dataset Interpolator

From this, I could get extra temperature column but with only 0 and nan values. I actually wanted the temperature data to be on the surface of stl file like a gradient. Please let me know what wrong have I done or is there anything I need to do.

I have attached the images for reference. I have also attached the link for csv file and stl file.

csv datafile

stl datafiel

Pointcloud paraview

Paraview stl

Paraview SPH interpolation

Your data is a little weird in that the points from your csv file are not on the surface of your stl file. So when SPH Dataset Interpolator attempts to sample data from the points, it cannot find points close enough to the surface.

As I recall, the SPH Dataset Interpolator looks for points within a certain radius from each point in the surface. For each point within this radius, weights them by applying a kernel function and sum the results. (Any points outside the radius are considered to be too close to zero when multiplied by the kernel to include.)

You can adjust the width of the kernel applied by adjusting the Spatial Step parameter. In the following screenshot, I’ve set the Spatial Step to 1. In the screenshot I am also plotting the csv points together with the stl surface so you can see there is a gap between the two.

1 Like