How to compute vorticity in Paraview

I’ve opened the results of a simulation (Velocity field and Pressure) in Paraview. I know that the vorticity is by definition the curl of the velocity.

How can I proceed to to compute the vorticity in Paraview? I can’t find a clear answer to this after searching. Could you please give a detailed answer for someone beginner?

P.S: I am using a structured mesh for my domain, if that matters.

I appreciate your help.

2 Likes

You can compute vorticity using the Gradient Of Unstructured DataSet filter (it will work with structured data as well). After you add the filter, click on the gear icon pqAdvanced to toggle on advanced properties. From there you will see a Compute Vorticity option.

6 Likes

how can I install the filter “Gradient Of Unstructured DataSet”. I cannot find it in the filters section.

That filter has been integrated into the main Gradient filter. You can use that instead.

Thank you for the fast response. The problem is that in this filter there is no option to evaluate the Q-criterion

The Q-criterion option is there:

It’s an advanced property, so make sure the little gear icon in the upper right is toggled on.

Thank you for the help

Can someone help me? I have a velocity field vtk dataset for RV and one for LV and I want to see the vorticity here!

Hi Mar,
If I read your screenshot correctly, it looks like you are trying to use a magnitude (i.e., scalar) for a vector. Use a 3 component vector. See the information tab to see what variables are scalars and which are vectors. If you need to know how to create a vector from 3 scalars, see Help/ Classroom Tutorials/ Filters/ Calculator.
Alan

this is still the velocity field.

How can I calcualte vorticity? Can I do that in Python shell?

Also like this it doesn’t work