how to run CatalystV2 examples on Windows

Hello Paraview team,

I am trying to run CatalystV2 on a windows machine and having some troubles get the example C++ programs running.

Following this guide (ParaView/build.md at master · Kitware/ParaView · GitHub),
paraview is built successfully from the source, with a working paraview.exe in the bin directory. The configuration
parameters are set as
“cmake -GNinja -DPARAVIEW_USE_PYTHON=ON -DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI=ON -DVTK_SMP_IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE=Sequential -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release”.

Then I tried the C++ examples following the tutorial (How to try out Catalyst2) and
CFullExampleV2.exe and CxxFullExampleV2.exe are built successfully as well. The problem appears when the exe excuables are launched from the command line, I got the following error.

xxx\CxxFullExampleV2.exe xxx\CxxFullExample\catalyst_pipeline.py
Failed to initialize Catalyst: 3
Failed to execute Catalyst: 1
Failed to finalize Catalyst: 1

One more curious thing is that ‘pvbatch’ or ‘pvpython’ in the bin directory also have trouble running the Python Catalyst example. On the other hand, I was able to use the ‘pvbatch’ or ‘pvpython’ from the pre-compiled ParaView binary for Windows.

Didn’t have much luck locating the source of the errors with the VS debugging tool. Any suggestions of how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
–ParaView version 5.10.1, obtained with git from https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview.git
–OS: windows 10 enterprise
–Visual Studio 2019

Cheers,
QZhu

This means that the implementation for catalyst was not found. Setting CATALYST_IMPLEMENTATION_PATHS in the environment may help here.

Thanks, this helps a lot! After setting the PATH variable to the right directory, the catalyst example can run smoothly now.

2 Likes

Hello, QZhu. Which path you give to PATH and CATALYST_IMPLEMENTATION_PATHS variable?