Issue importing paraview.simple module with Anaconda Prompt

Hello, I am trying to import the paraview.simple module using Anaconda Prompt. I’ve set my system variables (both PATH and PYTHONPATH) to the following:

C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin\Lib\site-packages\win32\libs (Location of the only .lib file in the whole ParaView 5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit folder)
C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin\Lib\site-packages
C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin\Lib
C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.8.0-Windows-Python3.7-msvc2015-64bit\bin (Location of ospray .dll files including ospray_module_ispc.dll)

However, I still get this error about 30 times in a row:
#osp: INITIALIZATION ERROR --> could not open module lib ospray_module_ispc: The specified module could not be found.

Someone else is also having the same issue here.

I looked at this discussion as well as this one. The latter said he fixed it by adding a path directly to the .pth file, but I’m not sure how to do this and am not sure if our issue is the same.

1 Like

Hey! Person with this same problem here.

I used this setup to attempt to fix the osprey issue using the .pth file… It um, didn’t work for me, but perhaps it’ll help you!

If you come up with a solution I’d love to hear what fixes it!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Well, I’m not familiar at all with .pth files and there is an existing one already in the ParaView site-packages folder with this content:

# .pth file for the PyWin32 extensions
win32
win32\lib
Pythonwin
# Entries needed for a "portable" installations, where the post_install script
# isn't run, which would normally copy the pywin32 core DLL files to either
# the top of the python directory.
# We just stick the source of these DLLs directly on the PATH.
import os;os.environ["PATH"]+=(';'+os.path.join(sitedir,"pywin32_system32"))

I’m not too sure how to alter it and I’m kind of scared to haha. If you have any ideas please share!