LagrangianParticleTracker example file

Hi, I learnd there is a LagrangianParticleTracker from https://blog.kitware.com/vtk-and-paraview-add-highly-configurable-particle-tracker/, so are there some examples files or other materials I can used to learn the using of the LagrangianParticleTracker? Thank you!

Absolutelly, there are multiples tests that shows how to use it.

If you built ParaView yourself with BUILD_TESTING:ON, you can access them.
Take a look into LagrangianParticleTracker tests, you can run them with ctest -R Lagrangian

Take a look here as well : https://blog.kitware.com/vtk-and-paraview-add-highly-configurable-particle-tracker/

Thanks for help. I didn’t compile the ParaView, I use the binary type of ParaView downloaded from https://www.paraview.org/download/.

I looked up the source codes from github: https://github.com/Kitware/ParaView, want to find some tests case of LagrangianParticleTracker, but I failed.

So could you send me some example files which I can open directly from the ParaView, my email is ngvjai@126.com.

Actully, I want to use ParaView to handle the particles pathline which output by the Fluent. %E6%97%A0%E6%A0%87%E9%A2%98
I am not satisfied the results which I have done. I hope I can use the LagrangianParticleTracker to handle it.

Here are the files (see below for correct files)

1 Like

Hello Mathieu,

I have tried the files you uploaded but I get a huge error like seen in the attached screenshot. Do you have an idea what the problem could be?

I also tried to reproduce the example with the disk_out_ref data shown in the pictures of the release blog entry in the following link:

Unfortunately, I didn’t get it. Maybe you could add the steps in the description of the link?

Thanks for your reply & best regards
Max

This is a state file, you have to set the path to the files when loading it.

1 Like

Sorry, I posted the wrong screenshot of the error. I unzipped the tgz-file and tried on one hand to change the data path in editor and on the other hand with the “search files under specified directory” option, but both possibilities didn’t work. I updated the screenshot above with the correct error. I don’t know why but the data sizes of the seeds.vtp and the surface.vtm are up to 0 kb (with WinZip & 7Zip)… ErrorPV

There must have been some issues with the files I uploaded, here is a new version.
lagrangian.zip (282.9 KB)
lagrangian.pvsm (578.5 KB)

2 Likes

hi,I am quite new to paraview,I want to do Lagrangian particle tracking using paraview. I have downloaded this dataset, but I can’t find the status file *pvsm,I would be grateful if you could share it again *.pvsm。:grinning:

There is another question, do you have a particle trajectory tracking example that changes over time?:smiley: Thanks for your help!

I will try to upload a new version of the example soon. In any case, unless you are already experienced with ParaView and the streamtracer, I would suggest to stay away for the LPT.

a particle trajectory tracking example that changes over time?

Not supported by the LPT.

I’ve updated the post with a .pvsm.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!:grinning:

Hello @mwestphal ,
This post has some years, and when I look for lagrangianParticleTracker in the search shift+space I can not find it. nevertheless if I search for lpt I find particle path, I assume that it was rename it? in any case,
I was looking to trace the path that lagrangean particles followed during my simulation that I did in OpenFOAM, I assume that this could be the correct filter? if that’s the case, how can I use it to trace the paths, as I have the particles that evolve with time steps. I tried to selecting the lagrangean particles as seed inputs but I am getting an error, and I loaded the state you post it and it didn’t do anything if I might ask, could you throw some light on how to do this (get the lines of the path of lagrangean particles that move over the time steps to get a similar result to streamTracer.

thanks in advance,

Hi @otaolafr

It’s a plugin, you need to load it. Tools → Plugin Manager → LagrangianParticleTracker

I was looking to trace the path that lagrangean particles followed during my simulation that I did in OpenFOAM, I assume that this could be the correct filter?

It is not, if you have temporal particle you want to trace lines with, using ParticlePathToPathLines

See this webinar: https://youtu.be/7WMaHXLK6No?si=4E1J2e3nBeCIp86G&t=1916

1 Like

thanks for your answer, I watched the video, but I am missing something, I have my particles that have different positions in my case and I used the corresponding filter but it throws me an error:

ERROR: In vtkTemporalPathLineFilter.cxx, line 343
vtkTemporalPathLineFilter (000001E683425760): The input dataset did not have a valid DATA_TIME_STEPS information key

ERROR: In vtkExecutive.cxx, line 741
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000001E692199690): Algorithm vtkTemporalPathLineFilter (000001E683425760) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000001E690439420)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 2518182
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA
FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

a colleague suggested me to transform it to VTK and then export the positions as csv re open it and then it works correctly. but as you can imagine this takes ages. is there any filter that I can use over the lagrangian data so I don’t go through the process of exporting in VTK format? thanks in advance

Hi @otaolafr

Could you share that particle dataset ?

Best,

Yes, of course, and again, thanks a lot for your help.
here is the link for the decomposed case with two different time steps: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free
best regards

This error is odd because the data seems to be temporal so the information key should be present, maybe there is a bug in the openfoam reader in regards to that.

But that being said, there is only two timesteps in your dataset, you wont be able to trace anything with that:
a

Rehello mathieu,
thanks for the answer, yes I know there is only two, I delete the rest so you don’t have to download something so big. I can upload the case with more time steps, would it be useful?

This error is odd because the data seems to be temporal so the information key should be present, maybe there is a bug in the openfoam reader in regards to that.

should I make a post of the bug or something?
regards