Make a cross-section with DEM

Hello, I am a student studying geophysics.

I’m using Paraview to make a geophysical map, and I have a question.

As shown in the example below, I would like to plot a profile standing on the z-axis with the DEM.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdqfswyDJp8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I have a DEM and an image file with coordinates.

I tried to use geotiff, but I’m looking for another way because I don’t think it’s the right way.

Could you tell me the right way?

Geophysics, great choice! :grinning:

To show profile-images you can use geotiff or load your image as texture to a plane.
I haven’t used geotiff for a long time but I remember, that it was necessary to set position and scaling in the properties panel because the coordinate file was not used by the reader (may have changed in newer ParaView versions or my file could have had a wrong format, who knows…).
Usually, we create a .vtp file defining the plane on which the image is then shown as texture (the texture image can be loaded in the properties of the plane). For a straight plane without crinkles it may be easier to just create a plane source instead of writing a vtp file.

Good luck and cheers,
Venke

Thank you for your answer, Venke!

I looked up what you said and I think it’s called “vertical coordinates”, right?

And what other tools do you think I should use besides paraview to do what I want?

Hej Eungsang,
as far as I understand you have the DEM visualized in ParaView and want to show vertical profiles (maybe seismic or electric data) along with it. You know the coordinates where the profile images should be positioned. Assuming the profiles are straight without bends or crinkles, the easiest way is to create a plane source. Just fill in the desired coordinates for Origin, Point1 and Point2 in the Properties (hover the mouse above the fields to get infomation on where these points shall be positioned). Resolution in X and Y can be 1. Then find “Texture” in the Lightning section of the properties and load your profile image there.

Of course you could also orient the plane horizontally if you have images of time (depth) slices.

This can all be done in ParaView. For other issues please elaborate more on what you want and what you have achieved already (and how).

Cheers,
Venke

Thank you, Venke.

As you said, I made a plane, but I can’t see the texture in the lighting option. So after loading the image file(jpeg or tiff), I fill in Origin, Point 1, and Point 2 using TextureMaptoPlane, but it is not drawn on the z-axis.

1. Are the coordinates of the three elements I used correctly? As far as I know, origin is the left bottom, point 1 is the right bottom, and point 2 is the left upper.

2. The format of the image file I use is various such as jpeg, png, tiff, etc. Which format is the most appropriate? Is it okay to use anything?

Eungsang,
Entering the coordinates you showed in the screenshot gives a vertical plane as can be seen in the RenderView. To check the coordinates, you can enable the “Data Axis Grid” further down in the properties. This will produce a view like the one you can see in the first screenshot I will attach. Note the cogwheel at the top of the properties. Have you turned it on (this will give you more options to modify, maybe this is the reason why you can’t find Texture)?
In my second screenshot I loaded an arbitrary image to the plane. Many formats work.

Hoping this works for you now. Good luck and cheers,
Venke

It works very well!

Thanks for your help, Venke. Have a nice day!

Dear, Venke.

Long time no see. :smiley:

I’m making well the way you taught me. By the way, even if I make the background of the profile I use transparent and export it to PNG, Paraview shows that there is a background color. I can’t see the option for transparency anywhere, so what can I do?

Hej!
Glad to hear you’re making progress. I haven’t used transparency on texture images myself yet, but I think it should work if it is in the alpha channel of the image. Maybe this post can lead you to the right direction: Texturing with TIFF files - a transparency and an extension problem
Good luck,
Venke