NVIDIA IndeX Plugin on Paraview 5.5.0 / 5.6.0

Dear all,
I want to try out the IndeX Plugin, using Paraview Desktop (I tryed 5.5.0 and 5.6.0) on a Windows 10 Workstation. I can load the Plugin using “Manage Plugins”. However, when I load a data set (vtkStructuredPoints or vtkUnstructuredGrid) and try to Display it with the NVidia IndeX Option it Fails with the error message:
“nvindex 0.0 DiCE library startup failed: Provided license expired”
Then it Fails to initialize the IndeX library and so on.

Using the standard “volume” option works.

Does somebody have an idea how to solve this Problem?
Kind regards,
Björn

Hmm. It seems that the built-in 1-gpu license expired. I’ll ask our NVidia contact.

Hi Bjoern
I encontour the same as well. Have you figured it out?
Liang

The free license for IndeX in 5.6.0 has indeed expired. You’ll need a new license key in order to use it, sorry.

Where do I get a license? Is this the same for older versions (like 5.5.0) as well?

I download from the NVIDIA website.

Can you please share a link to the downloading page? Do you know if it’s the same for older versions as well?

Hi
I download from the https://www.nvidia.com/object/index-paraview-plugin-download.html.

But when I try it in pre-compiled paraview, it shows the license is expired.

Ok. Thank you. I will check it.

Please tell me if that works for you.

Best

Liang

I got to a page where I need to register to get a Nvidia Index plugin. Is this what you mean?
I thought that it’s already included in ParaView and we just need to add a license to it.
By the way, what is your version of ParaView?

Thanks,
Misha

Yes,I register it and get a download mail. My way is to install it and load the plugin manually in pre-compiled paraview. Then the problem is license expired. In addition, I try to build the paraview from source and turn on the nvidia plugin option without any external file or license. It didn’t work as well.

1 Like

I suggest contacting paraview-plugin-support@nvidia.com to see how you might be able to use the IndeX plugin in ParaView 5.6. Or, if you are willing to wait, ParaView 5.7 will come out soon. It will have an updated IndeX plugin with more features, and the license should be valid for another year.

1 Like

By the way, when I’m trying to use IndeX plugin from a remote server , I get the error-

ERROR: In /home/buildslave/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-pvbinsdash-linux-shared-release_superbuild/build/superbuild/paraview/src/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/Rendering/vtkPVRenderView.cxx, line 1947
vtkPVRenderView (0x33b5870): Some of the representations in this view require remote rendering which, however, is not available. Rendering may not work as expected.

Is this related to the IndeX licensing issue or is this another topic?

Well, I guess it is related to your rendering staff. I think the paraview should be rendered directly by the GPU.

If you use the remote server, it might be a problem.

Do you mean that I can’t render on a remote server with a GPU, and use my desktop app as a client?

use command glxinfo | grep OpenGL

And check your OpenGL vendor. I guess it should be GPU instead of software.

You absolutely can do this. However, it seems that ParaView is not finding an OpenGL environment suitable for rendering. Do you have X11 installed on your remote server? If not, you’ll need to compile ParaView using EGL to provide GPU-accelerated rendering.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if they have the Index plugin working for 5.6 or 5.7 versions? I registered to download the plugin from NVIDIA and the email recieved from them only gives links for Paraview 5.0.1, 5.1 (Linux), and Paraview 5.3, 5.4 (Windows)

Yes. Before I post the ParaView binaries for download on paraview.org, I verify that IndeX works on the Windows binaries on a machine with an NVIDIA GPU.

Try ParaView 5.7.0-RC3 from www.paraview.org/download It includes the IndeX plugin, loadable through the Plugin Manager.