Paraview 5.10 plot x,y,z and Temperature

Dear all,

I want to plot data of 3D temperature field (four columns: x y z Temp), and I followed these steps,

import csv file
filter to Table to Points apply
set field 0 1 2 to x y z apply
filter to Delaunay 3D

but errors out in the third step
ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Filters\General\vtkTableToPolyData.cxx, line 103
vtkTableToPolyData (00000224B88F29A0): Failed to locate the columns to use for the point coordinates

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (00000224BB1C9DB0): Algorithm vtkTableToPolyData(00000224B88F29A0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (00000224BBC88C20)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 3162636
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
T1.csv (376.9 KB)
T-surf.csv (473.4 KB)

I am new to Paraview, really appreciate you can help!
Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Yue

Hi,

The following thread may be helpful in solving this.

1 Like

In Windows 10 you can remove the BOM with Notepad

1 Like

Hi Yoshimi,

Thank you so much and sorry for disturbing you again. For the second step TabletoPoints, it does work well now! However, a new problem occurs. When it comes to the third step Delaunay3D, there may be something wrong with the mesh. The temperature distribution is nearly what I want.

So, how can I fix this, please? Thank you so much.

Warning: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Filters\Core\vtkDelaunay3D.cxx, line 522
vtkDelaunay3D (000001870882EB00): 133 degenerate triangles encountered, mesh quality suspect

Best regards,
Yue

Dear Todd,

Thank you so much. That helps me! But new problem out, could you please give some adives?

Regards,
Yue

The Delaunay3D filter produces a convex hull. Therefore, it may not be appropriate for non-convex shapes like this one. For this reason, you may need to try another method. For example, since the current shape is a simple shape consisting of two bricks, top and bottom, it may be better to apply the Point Volumme Interpolator to each of them.

Below is the State file and the resulting image.
2_interpolators.pvsm (474.3 KB)

Wow, that’s cool.

Thank you so much for the detailed information and it does help, Yoshimi.

Best regards,
Yue

The problem comes from your data source where you have 144 coincident points in the CSV file. If you separate the temperature data for each brick volume into different files the Delaunay3D filter should work; however you then need to combine the output datasets into a single block in Paraview. Someone else can probably answer how difficult/easy that is.