Paraview not connecting with remote server

Hi!

I am trying to use pvserver to do post processing without the need of GUI for remote server. When I run pvserver in remote sever, it gives no error and says that it is connecting:

Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://v100b:11111
Accepting connection(s): v100b:11111

Then I add server name and default port number 11111 in connect option on my local paraview client and connect it as shown in the guide. However after connection, paraview client gets stuck for 60 seconds and then gives “force quit” message. I don’t know why it is not connecting to remote server paraview. Please guide.

Thanks!

Hi Bushra,

You wrote about pvserver ‘…and says that it is connecting’, but there is no phrase ‘Client connected’ in your example of output. It is just a message about waiting a connection with a client.

If you can not see the message ‘Client connected’, you could try reverse connection (with -rc argument).

Edited: Do you have the same versions of ParaView on the client and on the server?

Best Regards,
Pavel

Thanks for replying

I have 5.9.0 on local machine and 5.9.1 on remote server.
When I configure server in local paraview and run pvserver -rc on remote server, it gives me the following error:

(   0.290s) [pvserver        ]          vtkSocket.cxx:447    ERR| vtkClientSocket (0x1dbdee0): Socket error in call to connect. Connection refused.
(   0.291s) [pvserver        ]    vtkClientSocket.cxx:51     ERR| vtkClientSocket (0x1dbdee0): Failed to connect to server v100b:11111
(   0.291s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:396   WARN| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x1c500b0): Connect failed. Retrying for 59.9993 more seconds.

I think the problem is in different versions of PV on the client and on the server (at least this is the requirement from PV documentation to have the same versions of PV). Could you please install 5.9.1 on your local machine?

If this solution does not work, here is an example of establishing reverse connection (-rc) working in my case.

1. On the server side before connection:

1. On the client before connection:

edit_server_configuration_on_client

choose_server_configuration_on_the_client

1. On the server side after establishing the connection:

server_after_connection

1. On the client after connection:

client

While this is true, OP must have another issue on top of that.

@Bushra : Do not use -rc unless you need it. What errors are you getting when connecting to your pvserver normally ?

1 Like

Hi!

I don’t get any particular error… just that I don’t get client connected message and my paraview client gets stuck after which it asks me to force quit

Is the 11111 port opened on your remote server ?

Did you try it with the same versions of PV on the client and on the server?

I installed same version but I’m still getting the same errors. Paraview stuck on simple pvserver command and on executing
pvserver -rc --client-host=<server_IP> --server-port=11111

I get the this repetitive error on server side:

(   0.762s) [pvserver        ]          vtkSocket.cxx:447    ERR| vtkClientSocket (0x24cffa0): Socket error in call to connect. Connection refused.
(   0.762s) [pvserver        ]    vtkClientSocket.cxx:51     ERR| vtkClientSocket (0x24cffa0): Failed to connect to server 10.10.56.157:11111
(   0.763s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:396   WARN| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x23620b0): Connect failed. Retrying for 59.9985 more seconds.

Do you have a ssh connection between these machines?

yes it is
Screenshot from 2022-01-26 15-04-33

yes I have ssh connection

Maybe, smth with firewall on your client machine?

Should I disable firewall in my local computer via terminal?

I’m not sure. Is it possible to check that PV is not blocked on your local machine?

And one more point: do you have similar binaries of the same PV versions on the client and on the server (e.g. both with MPI support)? I’m not sure about you need to satisfy this requirement, just a thought.

Could you please also provide some screenshots or other description of the error on the client? Is it possible to connect paraview with pvserver both running inside one machine (both on the client machine or both on the server machine)?

yes, I have basically transferred the same paraview from server to local machine

Have you tried using an IP address for the host?

1 Like

Do you mean here?

Yes, here should be a <client_IP>. Thanks for noticing it.