Plans for built-in 3D Connexion Support?

ParaView Developers,

Are there plans to support 3D Connexion SpaceMouse products without requiring users to build ParaView from source?

I have successfully built using the instructions here (likely based on this wiki entry). However, I am curious about the status of this.

Thank you,
Joel

AFAIK, the VRPlugin is available in ParaView release since ParaView 5.5.

You should be able to use it directly without needing to build ParaView.

Thank you for the quick reply. When I saw VR I thought of technology like Oculus and not 3D mice. I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks again,
Joel

AFAIK, the VRPlugin is available in ParaView release since ParaView 5.5.

Is that true for macOS releases? I don’t see it in 5.6.0, as downloaded from paraview.org.

@cory.quammen

The VRPlugin is not packaged with macOS. I am not aware of a reason it couldn’t be, though.

Note that the is different from the OpenVR now supported in the Windows binaries. The VRPlugin predates the OpenVR “Send to VR” feature by quite a few years, and it depends on VRPN and/or VRUI as middleware between ParaView and the VR or 3D input devices.

The VRPlugin is not packaged with macOS. I am not aware of a reason it couldn’t be, though.

Is this an enhancement request that I should file in the tracker? Or, going back to my original question: is this already in the plans/works?

Sure, that would be good.

Not to my knowledge.

I tried this on windows see below the vr plugin is different. I tried using the vr plugin that is there and that did not help with the 3D mouse operation.

It takes some configuration. See https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Immersive_ParaView for some more information.

Afaik the VR plugin does not build on windows. It must be fixable though.

In addition, I believe to use it, you need to run a VRPN server, then launch ParaView, then connect to the VRPN server. There is some server configuration to set up as well. In principle, this could all be done in the VR plugin, but it would take some time to develop.

The VRPN server have to be run indeed, but usually is provided with the device software.

Really? What devices include this software? Asking out of curiosity.

It is provided with the zspace software. I may have wrongly generalized from that though.

Interesting, I didn’t know that. I’m not aware that the same is true for 3DConnexion device, but I haven’t used one in quite a few years now.

Do you have this plugin compiled on macOS 10.14 and Paraview 5.6 by any chance?

@lorak41 I do not.

Is the plugin available to add to the standard windows installation, I cannot find it on the downloads page?

It should be available in windows. You do not see it ?