Plans for built-in 3D Connexion Support?

(Joel Kulesza) #1

ParaView Developers,

Are there plans to support 3D Connexion SpaceMouse products without requiring users to build ParaView from source?

I have successfully built using the instructions here (likely based on this wiki entry). However, I am curious about the status of this.

Thank you,
Joel

(Mathieu Westphal) #2

AFAIK, the VRPlugin is available in ParaView release since ParaView 5.5.

You should be able to use it directly without needing to build ParaView.

(Joel Kulesza) #3

Thank you for the quick reply. When I saw VR I thought of technology like Oculus and not 3D mice. I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks again,
Joel

(Joel Kulesza) #4

AFAIK, the VRPlugin is available in ParaView release since ParaView 5.5.

Is that true for macOS releases? I don’t see it in 5.6.0, as downloaded from paraview.org.

(Mathieu Westphal) #5

@cory.quammen

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #6

The VRPlugin is not packaged with macOS. I am not aware of a reason it couldn’t be, though.

Note that the is different from the OpenVR now supported in the Windows binaries. The VRPlugin predates the OpenVR “Send to VR” feature by quite a few years, and it depends on VRPN and/or VRUI as middleware between ParaView and the VR or 3D input devices.

(Joel Kulesza) #7

The VRPlugin is not packaged with macOS. I am not aware of a reason it couldn’t be, though.

Is this an enhancement request that I should file in the tracker? Or, going back to my original question: is this already in the plans/works?

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #8

Sure, that would be good.

Not to my knowledge.

(Joshua Spencer) #9

I tried this on windows see below the vr plugin is different. I tried using the vr plugin that is there and that did not help with the 3D mouse operation.

(Cory Quammen (Kitware)) #10

It takes some configuration. See https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Immersive_ParaView for some more information.

(Mathieu Westphal) #11

Afaik the VR plugin does not build on windows. It must be fixable though.