Problem clipping a slice with a cylinder

Hi,

I have a curved pipe with a sharp bend, and I want to integrate quantitates on a cross-section. In previous versions of ParaView, I used to make a slice on the cross-section, followed by clipping the plane with a short cylinder to get rid of parts of the mesh that were clipped elsewhere (as the pipe bends and turns in the 3D space). However, now in version 5.10.1, the cylinder clip is not cutting the plane cells properly. Instead, it is selecting the the cells inside the cylinder. Sphere clip has the same issue, but plane clip works fine, it cuts the surface mesh.

In the figure below, the green plane is the slice, and the white plane is the cylinder clip. The border of the white plane doesn’t coincide with the border of the cylinder.

Is this change of behaviour an issue, or is it expected after any update in the last years.

Best regards,
Rudolf

Hi,

I have just tested clipping the volume with a cylinder, and I had the same behaviour as clipping a slice – the clip selected the full cells inside the cylinder, but did not cut them with the cylinder shape before.

If clipping the volume would have worked, I could have changed the order from slicePlane>clipCylinder to clipCylinder>slicePlane. However, the clipping the volume has the same behaviour as clipping the surface.

Best regards,
Rudolf

Hi,

I’ve just tested cylinder clip with ParaView 5.0.1, with which I had the same issue. Perhaps the good clipping I used to have before was related to also having a good volume mesh. The volume cells of this mesh have terrible aspect ratio. Nevertheless, the behaviour of the cylinder and sphere clip is different than the plane clip.

Best regards,
Rudolf

Just a change of behaviour, use the “inside out” property.

A post was split to a new topic: InsideOut and plot ?