Running a script in the background? / VR black screen

Hello, we are a group of students currently working on a project using Paraview.
To sum up, our project, constists in actively loading terrain data around a person which is in control of the camera. All of that using python scripts. But we currently are facing a couple of problems.

Problem 1: We can’t manage to make our program run as a “background” process. When running the script, no interaction with Paraview are possible.

Problem 2: When running the integrated VR of Paraview. The screen on which a view of what’s happening in VR shows the data sent through OpenGL. While the rest of the screen is completly black thus preventing us from using any tools.

1. Very classic issue, you will have to run your python program in another thread. See here : https://docs.python.org/3/library/threading.html

If you encounter issues with race condition our segfault with the paraview python interpreter, you will have to build ParaView and make sure VTK_NO_PYTHON_THREADS is OFF and VTK_PYTHON_FULL_THREADSAFE is ON.

1. VR has seen a lot of improvements lastly, you may want to try with the last nightly version of ParaView. https://www.paraview.org/download/

Thank you for replying so quickly. We will explore these options and update you on whether it worked out for us.

2 Likes

I’m not the OP, but this topic interests me, so permit me to ask a “followup” question:

For the threaded python code: is there a recommended place for the code? I.e. since there
are several places where one can add Python to ParaView – ProgrammableSource vs. LiveProgrammableSource
vs. ProgrammableFilter vs. Python Shell vs. Macro vs. Animated Python script.

And regarding the improved VR interface, I know this isn’t the place, but since it’s mentioned:
would it be possible to include the VR plugin in the pre-compiled MacOS version of ParaView 5.8?

Thanks,
Bill

The location of this threaded python code depends on your usecase.

For the OP, I suppose it should be put in a script run from the python shell or in pvpython, as it looks like they want to run it client-side

For others, who wants to run it server-side, a programmable filter or a python plugin would be the right place.

There is no example for either of these usecases I’m afraid.

For you VR on MacOS question, I defer to @cory.quammen, @martink and @Michael .

We have a request for this here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/18704

If i’m not mistaken @wsherman or at least @sohayb_bahi is talking about the OpenVR plugin, not the VRPN plugin. I know, confusing :slight_smile:

Maybe? I’m not aware of anyone who has compiled or run OpenVR on macOS, but if a headset can be drive from a Mac, seems like it should be possible.

In any case, the VRPN plugin does not have an “Improved” interface in 5.8, contrary to the OpenVR plugin.

I thought perhaps Sebastian @jourdain and maybe Patrick @olearypatrick might have it running on MacOS since they both gave me (offline) advice on the purchase of an external graphics card for my MacBookPro.
Bill

So yes, in this case, I was referring to the OpenVR plugin to use with my Vive.

However! Just this morning in a group meeting, we got out an old Space Mouse to use with ParaView, and it doesn’t really interface well by default, so I also happen to have a need for a pre-compiled VRplugin plugin, so a +1 vote for that too – though I see the MR thread on that ended with a need/request for funding.
Bill

(p.s. and unrelated, I just noticed that I mistyped my username when I created it!)

I haven’t tried it on ParaView proper, but ParaView Glance with Firefox is working for me with the Vive.

Is there anything that needs to be done to activate a Glance view for VR? E.g. Sketchfab has a little “View in VR” icon.

What steps do you use?

Thanks,
Bill

Yes i was speaking about OpenVR plugin