stream tracers not loading and tool tips not showing

Ok, now that i have a somewhat working mesh and a completed CFD. I am trying to use paraview but it feels like all the things i try from the tutorials on youtube are not wanting to either load or work. IE stream tracers. I have it turned on and have the resolution etc all set but nothing appears after i hit apply. its just a white line with an arrow head rather than all the streamers that follow the fin can.

I do not know enough about cfd yet to know exactly what my goals are but i think for starters its the following:

1. get the stream tracers to work
  2. Figure out how to find the forces acting on the object be it a fin can or a wind turbine blade or a cars bumper( currently watching a youtube on this one)
  3. Get the tool tips to work when you hover over a filter. My version (5.12.rc2) for whatever reason never shows the tool tips when hovering over filters or anything. It fills my entire 55 inch screen

Any help on these subjects would be much appreciated : )

thanks

1. Try the Point Cloud mode, it’s easier to set up.
  2. There are a few YouTube tutorials about that. You will need the Calculator filter to compute additional outputs.
  3. Edit → Settings → advanced (gear button) → General → Force Single Column Menus
1 Like

shouldnt the stream lines be showing up though when i hit apply?

oh, i will for sure force the single column menus. thanks for that.

i will report

Please share your data

1 Like

ok, sorry it took so long. Had some major things come up that needed to be done first

this should be the correct link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e2ZSIu7oD_QxlUkPtYsmWPy4OKvEhAHH?usp=sharing

I can generate streamlines without issues using the decomposed case in the “mesh” directory.

1 Like

Can you show the fin can as well with the stream lines?

Mine wont show any stream lines when i hit apply.

When i het home or to work, ill take screenshots of how i am setting it up. I am following a tutorial on youtube and its not working out haha.

Thanks

also, how did you do this? i have tried a few ways and can not get it to work.

thank you

• run ParaVIew
  • File → open → case/pv.foam, Ok
  • CaseType → Decomposed → Apply
  • Filters → Streamtracer → SeedType → PointCloud → Apply

yup, completely empty when i follow the above that you mentioned. Even turning the eye open for the pv.foam

Any ideas as to why tracers are not working

Which version of ParaView are you using ?

1 Like

5.12.0 RC2 is the version i am working with

still not able to get it to work… so what should i actually do? is it the version i am on causing the issues

im even trying on another verison and its always empty… i dont get it

I would recommend trying something we know works, and going from there. Use ParaView 5.12.0. Help/ Example Visualizations/ click on the upper right image. Does that work? To actually see the streamlines, turn off the eyeball (visibility) for the Glyph and Tube filters.

If not, Help/ About. Please post an image of this screen.

Last thing I can think of is bad configuration files. Again, on 5.12.0, Edit/ Reset to Default Settings. Follow directions.

On the other hand, if the example above works, you may want to try Help/ Classroom Tutorials/ Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Alan

I will try that in a moment. I uninstalled 5.12 because i wanted to test 5.10 that installs by default with cfdof in freecad.

However both versions, the exact same issue. Lwt me reinstall paraview 5.12 and teat out your ideas. I will report back

could turning off any of these be my problem? i want to be able to see the stream tracer without seeing the internal mesh volume domain. I want to see the stream tracer flowing over my 3d fins i made. That is the patch/default faces. The internal mesh, just shows a box and not my object so i un checked it

i want to do this

Two thoughts. What vector are you using for streamlines? Is there actually data there? (Notice Mathieu above got it to work, but didn’t mention vectors. Thus, there is a vector in this dataset that works.) Does the dataset have time data in it, and if so, is there actual data in the vector you are using at the timestep you are on?

Are the vectors incorrect size? (Probably not…) Anyway, on the line that says Maximum Streamline Length, hit the recycle icon. Apply.

yes, there is data. I have checked each cell and there is data. I have tried to use pressure and velocity as my stream tracers