Transforming vector results to new coordinate system

Hi,

does ParaView have a built-in tool or filter to transform the vector field results (like stress or displacement components) to a user-specified coordinate system ? I’m particularly interested in the transformation to a cylindrical system. From what I’ve found in some old threads, Calculator filter could be used to manually transform the data (by proper mathematical operation). But is there a more automated and straightforward way to do this ? For example, let’s say that I have a model of a pipe with internal pressure and I want to convert the stress components from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinate system so that I can get the circumferential, radial and axial stresses.

Transform filter does transform vectors and tensors afair

Isn’t this filter used only to translate or rotate the object in the viewport ? What I want to achieve is keep the model in the same spot in space and just change the coordinate system for contour plot of each vector component.

TransformFilter + AppendAttributes should do the trick

I get how this could work but there are two issues here:

• the Transform filter will only let me translate or rotate the model so it could be useful to change axes (for example, displacement in X axis becomes displacement in Z axis and so on) but I don’t think that it’s enough to switch the output to cylindrical coordinate system (unless I’m missing something)
  • I realized that the stress components in my case are scalars (only displacement is available as a vector) so the Transform filter won’t affect this data. Maybe that’s because of the way the data is exported to vtk format. I use FreeCAD’s import/export capabilities for that.

Is Calculator filter the only option in this case ?

Indeed, it is not. You cant switch to a cylindrical coord system in ParaView afaik.

I realized that the stress components in my case are scalars (only displacement is available as a
vector) so the Transform filter won’t affect this data. Maybe that’s because of the way the data is exported to vtk format. I use FreeCAD’s import/export capabilities for that.

How do you want your scalars to be transformed ?

Is Calculator filter the only option in this case ?

Probably needed.