Unable to open data with ParaView

I have the exact same issue. It seems paraview was updated in the linux mint repos to 5.10.0.
With this version, none of the .vtr or .vtp files that I have open. This was not an issues a couple of days ago. I get a similar error.

ERROR: In ./VTK/IO/XMLParser/vtkXMLParser.cxx, line 375
vtkXMLDataParser (0x5628263efe30): Error parsing XML in stream at line 21, column 0, byte index 1251: not well-formed (invalid token)

ERROR: In ./VTK/IO/XML/vtkXMLReader.cxx, line 521
vtkXMLRectilinearGridReader (0x5628257d6160): Error parsing input file.  ReadXMLInformation aborting.

ERROR: In ./VTK/IO/XMLParser/vtkXMLParser.cxx, line 375
vtkXMLDataParser (0x562826a92a60): Error parsing XML in stream at line 21, column 0, byte index 1251: not well-formed (invalid token)

ERROR: In ./VTK/IO/XML/vtkXMLReader.cxx, line 521
vtkXMLRectilinearGridReader (0x5628257d6160): Error parsing input file.  ReadXMLInformation aborting.

However, with an older version 5.8.1, I am able to open these same files without any issues. Hope the mint repos deprecate to an older/newer version soon.

Please try with the binary release of ParaView instead: https://www.paraview.org/download/

Reminds me of the expat 2.5 issue reported in this thread

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the replies.
I have tried three versions of the binary releases from paraview website. I am still having issues, though these might not be the same as those mentioned earlier.

So with the binary version Paraview 5.8.1 everything seems to work fine, with no warnings in the temrinal.

VisRTX 0.1.6, using devices:
 0: NVIDIA T600 Laptop GPU (Total: 4.1 GB, Available: 3.5 GB)

So with the binary version Paraview 5.12.0 the files seem to load all at once, and Paraview is not able to recognize that these are temporal files. I also get a warning when I launch Paraview through the terminal, though I am not sure what it means.

hwloc/linux: Ignoring PCI device with non-16bit domain.
Pass --enable-32bits-pci-domain to configure to support such devices
(warning: it would break the library ABI, don't enable unless really needed).
VisRTX 0.1.6, using devices:
 0: NVIDIA T600 Laptop GPU (Total: 4.1 GB, Available: 3.5 GB)

I also tried with the binary version 5.11.2, and have the same warning and problem as with the latest v5.12.0.

The problem with the linux mint repo version 5.10.0-RC1 remains the same as in my previous post. The full error message in the terminal is below (repeating for clarity).

(  19.008s) [paraview        ]       vtkXMLParser.cxx:375    ERR| vtkXMLDataParser (0x5568042c1330): Error parsing XML in stream at line 21, column 3, byte index 1029: not well-formed (invalid token)
(  19.019s) [paraview        ]       vtkXMLReader.cxx:521    ERR| vtkXMLPolyDataReader (0x556803fb3a30): Error parsing input file.  ReadXMLInformation aborting.
(  30.644s) [paraview        ]       vtkXMLParser.cxx:375    ERR| vtkXMLDataParser (0x5568001e10d0): Error parsing XML in stream at line 21, column 3, byte index 1029: not well-formed (invalid token)
(  30.649s) [paraview        ]       vtkXMLReader.cxx:521    ERR| vtkXMLPolyDataReader (0x556803fb3a30): Error parsing input file.  ReadXMLInformation aborting.

I am not really sure what to do here, as things seemed to be working well last week. I will try the flatpak version next and see if that works without issues on my computer.

Hi @Rohan

Please share your files.

Best,

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried with the flatpak version and get the following output.

Gtk-Message: 10:19:32.899: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket

The issue where Paraview is unable to identify that the files that are read are temporal remains in this version as well. See the image below.

I have uploaded the files here. Thanks again for the help!

Kitware does not distribute such version, please try with the latest binary release of ParaView from https://www.paraview.org/download/

I just tried, it works fine, your file is loaded as temporal. Also you are using the builtin server in your screenshot, which is not the case of the original issue. separating the topics.

Hi @mwestphal , I have tried with the binary versions 5.12.0, 5.11.2 from the link that you have posted. In both these cases I am unable to get the files to load as temporal
With the binary version 5.8.1 they do load as temporal on the same machine with the same system, I have posted screenshots and terminal output in my post here

[quote=“Rohan, post:4, topic:14218”]
So with the binary version Paraview 5.8.1 everything seems to work fine, with no warnings in the temrinal.
[/quote].

Is there a way to get paraview to print more information when files are loaded so that I can share it here? (–verbose does not seem to print debug information).

Thanks.

Can you show a screenshot of the file dialog when you select the file ?

You mean the “information” box, right? Here it is. This is with the v5.12.0 binary.
(sorry, i have edited this post to put a screenshot with the same files that I had shared with you earlier).

If you mean the file load dialogue, here above is the screenshot for that. The files appear collapsed temporally, but when loaded, they separate out and all files are loaded at once.

The file dialog looks fine. can you try resering your settings ?

I am not sure what you mean? How do I reset setting? I simply run paraview as ./paraview from the terminal in the /bin folder of the extracted folders.

Edit → Settings → ResetSettings

It seems that button is greyed out for me. Though I did a restore defaults and then tried again, but I have the same issue.
Thanks for the help.

Which OS are you using ?

I am using Linux Mint 21-3. If you would like the full info I could upload it here.

Also try Edit menu → Restore to Default Settings then restart ParaView and try again.

Hi @cory.quammen , I tried as you suggested again, but the issue remains the same. All files are loaded at once.

I tried opening this dataset with MacOS ARM and Linux (RHEL 7), 5.12.0, builtin server. Both open the dataset as a temporally spread dataset with 14 timesteps.

The only thing I can think of is:

• cd into ~/.config/ParaView, and delete everything.
  • Download a new, Kitware version of Linux 5.12.0 paraview. Untar it.
  • Pull a new copy of your data from the download site you presented above into a clean directory.
  • Type “which paraview”. Are you getting the correct one?
  • Explicitly run your new ParaView. /directoryToParaView/bin/paraview

If that doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas…
Alan