Catalyst live visualization

I am trapped at how to make the live visualization with catalyst work? Does anyone know the steps to realize that function?

Take a look at
https://blog.kitware.com/introduction-to-paraview-catalyst-live/

Hi thanks for the information.
I used the mpiexec -np 2 command to run the live visualization but end with some socket error.

Do you know where I am wrong?

Can you show the commands you executed and the errors you got. Also, what OS are you using?
Thanks.

Dan

this is the command: /usr/local/bin/mpiexec -np 2 ./CFullExample2 ./…/SampleScripts/feslicescript.py
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x219cb50): Some error in socket processing.

and the error is ERROR: In …/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/Core/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 297And I use opensuse.

I am confused what python script I should use. Currently, I use gridwriter.py to generate representative dataset and use paraview GUI to generate a new script and replace the gridwriter.py with it to run the command again.

Thanks

Take a look at the ParaView tests that exercise this functionality:
[~/projects/ParaView/build]$ ctest -R CatalystLive

Test project /home/danlipsa/projects/ParaView/build

Start 1848: pv.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint

1/4 Test #1848: pv.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint … Passed 29.40 sec

Start 1849: pvcs.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint

2/4 Test #1849: pvcs.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint … Passed 29.10 sec

Start 1850: pv.CatalystLivePause

3/4 Test #1850: pv.CatalystLivePause … Passed 33.21 sec

Start 1851: pvcs.CatalystLivePause

4/4 Test #1851: pvcs.CatalystLivePause … Passed 32.42 sec

You can use ctest -N -V -R CatalystLive

to see the full commands executed.

You’ll need to build ParaView from source and enable tests: BUILD_TESTING should be ON.

In these tests there are two scripts:

ParaView/src/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystWaveletDriver.py

This plays the role of the simulation and generates the data.

ParaView/src//Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystWaveletCoprocessing.py

this is the processing pipeline.

In your case, you need the simulation (which can be a python script as well) and a processing pipeline python script which creates a visualization every step of the simulation.

Hi
Thanks for these useful information. I found that I set the BUILD_TESING off when I built the Paraview. However, I always come across an error in the make step: CMakeFiles/ParaViewData.dir/build.make:1602: recipe for target ‘ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/pqCoreBasicApp.png-hash-stamp’ failed.

Can you help me out?

can you do:
VERBOSE=1 make ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/pqCoreBasicApp.png-hash-stamp

maybe this will give you more information on what is going on.

Hi
Actually, in order to make it faster, I replace make with ninja.

And here is the output:Object

SHA512=3405b32d38058a84dcb678c4b3dc8c0cbceae4e10aae4e8750f87ae2d07367d14c3084b8d91b3ea8ad8611a5225bbdbf248bc61dc7a52f2f87631a920db0efcb
not found at:

https://data.kitware.com/api/v1/file/hashsum/SHA512/3405b32d38058a84dcb678c4b3dc8c0cbceae4e10aae4e8750f87ae2d07367d14c3084b8d91b3ea8ad8611a5225bbdbf248bc61dc7a52f2f87631a920db0efcb/download (“Unsupported protocol”)
https://www.paraview.org/files/ExternalData/SHA512/3405b32d38058a84dcb678c4b3dc8c0cbceae4e10aae4e8750f87ae2d07367d14c3084b8d91b3ea8ad8611a5225bbdbf248bc61dc7a52f2f87631a920db0efcb (“Unsupported protocol”)

Does it have to make sure the ctest catalystlive work?

That is strange. If I click on any of the links you send I see the baseline it tries to download. Does this work for you?
What cmake version are you using? Maybe that does not support https?

cmake version 3.13.0
Is the protocol problem or the cmake problem?

Likely you are using a CMake not built with SSL support. You can download CMake from www.cmake.org and that should fix the problem.

What do you mean build cmake with SSL support as I have build cmake from the source package?

No, you don’t need to, but whoever built the CMake you are using may not have enabled SSL. Where did you get CMake from?

I download the cmake source package from the ww.cmake.org.
How can I enable the SSL support with cmake?

How can I enable the SSL support with cmake?

That’s a question for the CMake mailing list: https://cmake.org/mailing-lists/. Do search the archives first as it has probably been asked in the past.

I recommend downloading and using the CMake binaries from www.cmake.org.

I successfully build paraview with BUILD_TESTING=on. But when I test the catalystlive, it always stops at the second one and no response at all.

Are there any variables I should pay attention to when building the paraview?

Do you have all these variables on?
BUILD_TESTING, PARAVIEW_USE_MPI and PARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON.

Use ctest -N -V -R CatalystLIve

to find out the actual commands executed and then execute the second command to see a better error message.

Yes, I set these variables correctly.
Here is the output after I run the command:

UpdateCTestConfiguration from :/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
Parse Config file:/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
Add coverage exclude regular expressions.
Add coverage exclude: vtk[^.]+(Java|Python).cxx
Add coverage exclude: .vtkOpenGLState.
Add coverage exclude: .Testing.Cxx.cxx
Add coverage exclude: .Testing.Cxx.h
Add coverage exclude: .moc_.cxx
Add coverage exclude: .
/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkgl.

/Utilities/.

/ThirdParty/.

Add coverage exclude: .vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper.
Add coverage exclude: ./VTK/.
Add coverage exclude: vtk[^.]+ClientServer.cxx
Add coverage exclude: vtk[^.]+Python.cxx
Add coverage exclude: ui_[^.]+.h
Add coverage exclude: moc_[^.]+.h
Add coverage exclude: vtkprotobuf
SetCTestConfiguration:CMakeCommand:/usr/local/bin/cmake
UpdateCTestConfiguration from :/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
Parse Config file:/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
Test project /home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build
Constructing a list of tests
Done constructing a list of tests
Updating test list for fixtures
Added 0 tests to meet fixture requirements

1970: Test command: /home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/smTestDriver “–enable-bt” “–script-ignore-output-errors” “–script” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvbatch” “-sym” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystWa
veletDriver.py” “CatalystWaveletCoprocessing” “222” “–client” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/paraview” “–enable-bt” “-dr” “–test-directory=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/Testing/Temporary” “–test-script=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applicatio
ns/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint.xml” “–test-baseline=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint.png” “–exit”
Labels: CATALYST PARAVIEW
Test #1970: pv.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint

1971: Test command: /home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/smTestDriver “–enable-bt” “–script-np” “5” “–script-ignore-output-errors” “–script” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvbatch” “-sym” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Test
ing/XML/CatalystWaveletDriver.py” “CatalystWaveletCoprocessing” “222” “–server” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvserver” “–enable-bt” “–client” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/paraview” “–enable-bt” “-dr” “–test-directory=/home/lcui/Downloads/Para
view/build/Testing/Temporary” “–test-script=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint.xml” “–test-baseline=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint.png” “–
exit”
Test #1971: pvcs.CatalystLiveSetBreakpoint

1972: Test command: /home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/smTestDriver “–enable-bt” “–script-ignore-output-errors” “–script” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvbatch” “-sym” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystWa
veletDriver.py” “CatalystWaveletCoprocessing” “80” “–client” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/paraview” “–enable-bt” “–live=22222” “-dr” “–test-directory=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/Testing/Temporary” “–test-script=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/parav
iew/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystLivePause.xml” “–test-baseline=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/CatalystLivePause.png” “–exit”
Test #1972: pv.CatalystLivePause

1973: Test command: /home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/smTestDriver “–enable-bt” “–script-np” “5” “–script-ignore-output-errors” “–script” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvbatch” “-sym” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Test
ing/XML/CatalystWaveletDriver.py” “CatalystWaveletCoprocessing” “80” “–server” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/pvserver” “–enable-bt” “–client” “/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/bin/paraview” “–enable-bt” “–live=22222” “-dr” “–test-directory=/home/lcui/
Downloads/Paraview/build/Testing/Temporary” “–test-script=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/paraview/Applications/ParaView/Testing/XML/CatalystLivePause.xml” “–test-baseline=/home/lcui/Downloads/Paraview/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/CatalystLivePause.png” “–ex
it”
Test #1973: pvcs.CatalystLivePause

Total Tests: 4

No errors show. I am new to this and cannot read these output. Can you help me out?

I am continuing the conversation from About the In Situ Support category in this thread, since it seems related.

First and foremost, what version of ParaView you using? I will try to use the same version and create a simply driver/script for you to use for the test.