How to get ParaView Dark UI (Any OS, Any release)

GENERIC SOLUTION

It is possible to modify the aspect of the ParaView UI, eg like this:

Download this Qt style.qss (49.2 KB) from QDarkStyleSheet and then run ParaView with the following argument.

paraview -style=default -stylesheet=/absolute/path/to/style.qss

On Windows, one could then create a shortcut with the command.
On Linux, one could then create a shell script with the command.

This style is not perfect, so if you improve it, please feel free to share it.

===============================================

LINUX + SYSTEM QT ONLY SOLUTION

On Linux and with System Qt only, it is possible to use Qt5ct in order to have a full integration of your Qt system stylee, like this :

This trick works only on Linux and only if ParaView use the system Qt, e.g. when building ParaView or installing with a package manager.

This do not work with the ParaView binary release.

• Install qt5ct and breeze
  • Run qt5ct.
  • Select “Breeze” style with custom “Darker” color scheme
  • export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
  • run ParaView
4 Likes

See here for a feature request to add this feature in ParaView: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/19980

Hi Mathieu,

I’m new to Paraview, and started using it on a Windows 10 Laptop.
I was immediately looking to enable a dark UI theme, which I’m used to work with in other programs. Unfortunately, your trick doesn’t work on Windows.

Paraview ships with the WindowsVista Qt style, which I wasn’t able to adjust easily. However, it turns out that it’s possible to override the style and apply a custom stylesheet to get a pleasingly dark look. I took the qdarkstyle from the web and got the following result.

1 Like

Awesome ! I will give it a go and update my post accordingly.

It looks like this requires direct modifications of ParaView source code, isn’t it ?

Mathieu,

fortunately No, it’s possible without touching the binary (otherwise I wouldn’t have done it) :wink:

All you need is a decent .qss style sheet and then apply the override on the Paraview command-line like:

paraview -style=default -stylesheet=<mystylesheet>.qss

On Windows, to make it convenient, I created a shortcut on the Desktop and adjusted the command-line (see screenshot):

To use the QDarkStyle, I created a “qdarkstyle” sub-folder in Paraview’s “bin/styles” folder, and copied the .qss file there. Then I could reference the .qss file relative to the “bin” folder as

-stylesheet=styles/qdarkstyle/style.qss

BTW, this stylesheet seems to be one of the most complete Qt “dark” styles I could find. It’s a good reference, and perhaps I will come up with my own “dark scheme” soon :grinning:

2 Likes

This is working perfectly !

I will give it a go on Linux and MacOS to see if this is cross platform, and then update the post.

I’ve updated the post with the new generic solution.

1 Like