Unable to properly load saved state; most views cannot be shown

Disclaimer: I am a beginner to paraview, so apologies if the terms i am about to say are not correct.

I created a paraview session with multiple extract blocks, clips, slices, calculators, streamlines, etc. Each operation has a scalar or vector quantity that is being shown. Let’s refer to these operation as views. I saved this state as a .pvsm file using the “File > Save State”, and closed paraview. When I wanted to open the session again, i loaded in this saved state but noticed that most of the views (slices, clips, etc.) had no “eye” symbol beside it-- i could not click “Show” to see that view, making that view essentially useless. It looks like only the top level views in the pipeline had an “eye” beside the item.

How do i see the views without an “eye” beside them? Is there a way to save a paraview state such that all the views can be seen when loaded. One workaround i found is to hit “Show all” in paraview before saving the state. This way when i load the state all the views are loaded and all the pipeline items have an “eye” beside them. But i must be doing something wrong if i am doing it like this; there is probably something i am missing.

I am running paraview 5.10.1 on linux on 8 cores.

Hi @austinbenny

That doesn’t really make sense or this is a big bug in ParaView.

Could you share such a state file ? Ideally, constructed only using Sources instead of opening files.

Best,

Hi!

Can you tell me (or guide me to the docs on paraview) what the difference between opening files and constructed using “sources” are?

Currently, i make these views from an Ensight Case Gold format file. So i would open file, and select the “.case” file. However, this is only how i first start the session. After opening the files, I add the views and operations like i described above.

I can help in any required short of sending the Ensight Case Gold or the .pvsm files; they contain results that i cant share. I could maybe use a sample Ensigt Case Gold file and make a .pvsm file from that. But i don’t have a straightforward way of making an Ensight Case Gold file.

Ok this is fine, just share a state file and and ensight file please :slight_smile:

Edit: If you can’t share your data for professional reasons and do not have a way to reproduce the issue using the “Sources” menu, then you may want to contact Kitware for professional support.
https://www.kitware.com/commercial/

Hi, sorry, there might have been a misunderstanding. I CANNOT share the Ensight and state file i currently have.

I feel like im missing something because im new to paraview. I can share pictures from what i’m seeing if that would help a little.

If pictures dont help, i don’t have a straightforward way of making a test ensight file (the current one i have was sent to me) so this might be a dead end.

I’ve edited my message above.

Yes a screenshot would help, but if this issue appears anytime you work with an EnSight file, why not trying to reproduce it with a public EnSight case file ?

You can download one here if you want:
result_fluid_domain.tgz (943 Bytes)

Ahh perfect! I did not know you had public ensight files to test. Let me see if i can reproduce the issue with what you sent. You will only hear back from me after about 8 hours.

I have to admit that I have seen this behavior when saving the state as a Python file (.py) and then loading it back into ParaView. By default, the saved Python file does not explicitly create a representation for hidden pipeline objects. Sometimes the GUI will create a representation anyway, but I think what is happening is that sometimes the GUI does not create a representation, and in that case the eyeball does not show up.

In any case, when this happens, you can just click on the blank space where the eyeball should be in the pipeline browser and the eyeball will appear.

1 Like

@Kenneth_Moreland Thank you! Looks like that worked. It is somewhat non-intuitive but clicking on where the eye should be did the trick.

@mwestphal i have attached an image below of what i see. if this is not the intent of paraview and is a bug, here is the image.

This behavior should be fixed in ParaView 5.11, coming out soon. If curious, here is the fix.

Has the fix happened since the 5.11 RC1? I am still seeing it happen there:

No, it should be in 5.11-RC1.

@jfausty looks like we still have an issue.

Hi @cory.quammen and @Kenneth_Moreland,

I think we missed 5.11-RC1 but it should be in 5.11-RC2 from what I am seeing in the commit history:

Is it possible for you to try RC2 @Kenneth_Moreland?

Binaries for RC2 will be on the downloads page later today or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. I have a good fix now. Will wait on 5.11.

Also, as a tangent, i use ANSYS Fluent a lot and for large models, the post processing features of Fluent are not great. The go to post-processing tool for Fluent and CFX users is CFD-post. CFD-post is great but it’s very laggy, load times are large, and overall doesn’t work well with large models. There is a space/market there that paraview can fix in my opinion. If there was a way to read in ANSYS Fluent “.dat.h5” files (they are HDF files and i have opened them up with h5py in python before) and get all the rich functionality that paraview has for more native format, i think it would seal the deal for most CFD-post users i know to switch over. Currently, the workflow for us Fluent users is to export the solution in the Ensight Case Gold format for use in paraview. This is fine but here’s to hoping more work can be made on the fluent post-processing end.

I did not make the connection with this issue, I’m glad we fixed it then.

f there was a way to read in ANSYS Fluent “.dat.h5” files (they are HDF files and i have opened them up with h5py in python before) and get all the rich functionality that paraview has for more native format, i think it would seal the deal for most CFD-post users i know to switch over. Currently, the workflow for us Fluent users is to export the solution in the Ensight Case Gold format for use in paraview. This is fine but here’s to hoping more work can be made on the fluent post-processing end.

As with everything ParaView, we need someone or company to contribute to this implementation, either by contributing time (and code) or money (through Kitware services). You can read more about it here:

That being said, the first step to find that is talking about it, as you just did, second step would be to open an issue on gitlab for the feature: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues

I can confirm that the eyeball bug seems to be fixed in 5.11-RC2, at least for my use case.

2 Likes